Acupuncture for Chronic Low Back Pain
SUBJECT: National Coverage Determination for Acupuncture for Chronic Low Back Pain
DATE: January 21, 2020
A. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will cover acupuncture for chronic low back pain under section 1862(a)(1)(A) of the Social Security Act. Up to 12 visits in 90 days are covered for Medicare beneficiaries under the following circumstances:
- For the purpose of this decision, chronic low back pain (cLBP) is defined as:
- Lasting 12 weeks or longer;
- nonspecific, in that it has no identifiable systemic cause (i.e., not associated with metastatic, inflammatory, infectious, etc. disease);
- not associated with surgery; and
- not associated with pregnancy.
- An additional eight sessions will be covered for those patients demonstrating an improvement. No more than 20 acupuncture treatments may be administered annually.
- Treatment must be discontinued if the patient is not improving or is regressing.
NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Suurbritannia) soovitab kroonilise valu puhul kasutada nõelravi
Kroonilise valu ravijuhend, avaldatud 07.04.202
NICE guideline for chronic pain: painkillers out, acupuncture in https://www.acupuncture.org.uk/public-content/public-pr-press-releases/7066-nice-guideline-for-chronic-pain-painkillers-out-acupuncture-in.html